We strive to educate participants on sound climbing practices and techniques that follow recommended industry standards. The classes are designed to help climbers learn the sport from the foundation up and develop good habits, which will benefit them as they progress to hopefully becoming lifelong enthusiasts of the sport of rock climbing.
Orientation and Belay Class
This introductory class will introduce the climber to the basics of not only our wall and facility but also the basics of top-rope climbing. Completion of this class is required to be able to belay. Topics covered include:
- General orientation to the facility and facility policies
- Proper boulder spotting and falling
- How to put on and use a harness
- How to tie a Figure 8 Follow Through knot
- How to set up a belay system
- How to properly belay with the “PBUS” technique and lower a climber
- How to set up a floor anchor system
- How to perform safety double checks and use of appropriate belay commands
Register for an Orientation and Belay Class at the climbing wall desk or by calling the Rec office at 785-532-6980.
**Classes are T-W-TH at 7 pm and are limited to 4 individuals.
Climbing Techniques: Learning the Ropes
A fun, beginner-level course, intended to expand your knowledge of climbing in an indoor gym! By the end of this class, participants will learn climbing movements and techniques, as well as the types of hand and footholds and how best to use them effectively. This class will help you improve your climbing ability and also teach you some climbing basics and etiquette. It’s a great way to improve your climbing experience!
Current K-State Climbing Wall Belay Certification
Current K-State students - $7.50
Non-students - $10.00
The class will meet from 1-4 pm
What people are saying about the Climbing Techniques class:
- "The rock wall staff is extremely knowledgeable about climbing! And the climbing techniques class is the place to learn the rope. I already feel myself improving as a climber. Check them out to gain basic climbing techniques, you won't be disappointed." -Liz
- "This is a really cool class and excellent for those who can't get past that 5.8-5.9 area. Lots of good technical advice and an opportunity to practice with help from the wall staff!" -Donnie
The lead climbing class is the “next step” in becoming a complete climber after becoming proficient with indoor top-roping skills. This class will teach the basics of how to lead climb indoors, including clipping fundamentals, lead belaying, lead falling, and lead catches. Due to the more technical nature, an advanced degree of difficulty, and increased risk, climbers must demonstrate strong climbing skills and belaying techniques in order to take this class. Lead Climbing classes will be capped at eight people per class and will require a minimum of four people to have the class.
Class length – 10 hours spread over Saturday & Sunday
- Current K-State Climbing Wall Belay Certification
- Demonstrated ability to climb 5.9 or better*
*Note – to do this find a climbing staff during open hours to watch you climb and he/she can make a note in our system
Current KSU Students - $30
Non-Students - $60
The class will meet on Saturday from 11 am-3 pm and Sunday 12:15-4 pm.
In order to register for this class you must start by coming in during open wall hours and requesting a current wall staff member watch you climb 5.9 or better so a note can be made in the database system under your name. After you have completed this you may contact the Rec Services office to register for the class.
Outdoor Climbing: From Gym to Crag
The perfect class to prepare you to start climbing outside on real rock! After learning how to lead climb indoors, this class will progress to teaching how to apply those skills in an outdoor setting through sport climbing (i.e. bolted routes). Topics covered include how to “clean” a route, anchoring, rappelling, outdoor climbing ethics, safety, and the equipment needed to do so.
Must have a current lead climbing certification at the K-State Climbing Wall.
Current K-State Students - $20
Non-students - $40
PCIA Climbing Wall Instructor Course
The PCIA (Professional Climbing Instructors’ Association) Climbing Wall Instructor course is a professional level certification course that is required of all of our climbing wall staff. This certification can be used to help obtain a position at climbing gyms across the country.
The PCIA Climbing Wall Instructor Course provides instructors and potential instructors with an in-depth, standardized understanding of the skills essential to teaching climbing in an indoor setting. It is the first step in a sequential approach to professional climbing instructor development. The course reinforces the importance of teaching technically accurate information and debunks many common climbing myths.
The course emphasizes the presentation of sound fundamental skills to climbing gym participants, the formation of risk assessment and risk management skills and basic problem-solving skills such as belay transitions and on-wall coaching and assistance techniques. Participants are assessed on both their core knowledge and their ability to effectively teach and coach related skills.
- Shows an adequate experience level to the course provider illustrating he/she is ready for the course. Examples include periodic climbing for 2+ years or a high intensity of climbing in the past few months, etc
- Current belay certification at the K-State Climbing Wall
- Is capable of comfortably top-roping 5.8 at our wall
Current K-State students - $60
Non-students - $100
Class is held Friday from 4-10 pm, Saturday 8-5 pm and Sunday from 8-4 pm
To register for any of these classes, stop by the Recreational Services office or call (785) 532-6980.