1. K-State home
  2. »Rec Services home
  3. »Sport Clubs
  4. »Frequently Asked Questions

Recreational Services

Recreational Services
Kansas State University
101 Peters Rec Complex
1831 Olympic Drive
Manhattan, KS 66506


Frequently Asked Questions

What is a sport club?
Sport clubs are student organizations formed by students motivated by a common interest and desire to participate and compete in a particular sport. They are led by student officers and achieve success based on the level of student leadership and involvement. Sport clubs are funded through student fees, donations, membership dues, and club fundraising activities. K-State sport clubs compete against other universities and clubs, both regionally and nationally.  For a wonderful article about sport clubs, please view this link to a NY Times article: "Rise of College Club Teams Creates a Whole New Level of Success"

How do I get involved in a sport club?
Go to our sport clubs information page and click on the club you are interested in. There you will find information on each club and a contact person who can fill you in on how to get involved at the next meeting or practice. Our clubs are always looking for talented new members.

What are the benefits of joining a sport club?
Joining a sport club has many rewards, including the chance to compete in a sport  against other universities, involvement in campus life, the opportunity to make lifelong friendships, opportunities for leadership within the club, and the chance to stay in shape!

Do I need experience in order to participate?
Not necessarily. Many of the clubs accept any skill level and are willing to teach you how to play their sport. Some, however, are more advanced and prior experience is highly recommended. Each club contact can tell you the recommended level of prior experience for their specific sport.

What is the difference between sport clubs and intramurals?
Sport clubs are led and organized by students. Team practices, meetings, competitions, and fundraisers are led by club officers and club members. Sport clubs practice multiple times per week, and many travel to compete against other schools. Intramurals consist of K-State students, faculty, and staff who compete against each other in organized leagues and tournaments within the K-State community on a more recreational level.

What is the difference between a sport club and a varsity athletic program?
Sport clubs are organized and managed by students. They are funded by the Student Government Association, club fundraisers, and membership dues. Clubs compete against other university club teams across the midwest. Varsity athletic sports are housed in the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, funded by Athletics, and compete in NCAA competition.

Do sport clubs charge membership dues?
Some of the clubs do charge nominal membership dues in order to help fund the sport. This amount can vary from semester to semester, based on the specific expenses for that semester (i.e. varying travel locations). Contact the specific club you are interested in to find out about their membership dues policy.

How do I start a new sport club?
The list of sport clubs we have is not limited to the clubs on the list only. Students can start a new club if they have an interest in a different sport. In order for the club to qualify as a sport club with Recreational Services, the club must be part of a national governing body and compete against other collegiate club teams. Recreational Services can help you in identifying governing bodies and collegiate competition.

In order to start the process for registering a club on campus, you must first go through the Office of Student Activities and Services. You can stop by their office in the student union, call them at 785-532-6541, or visit their club registration website at http://www.k-state.edu/osas/neworgs/ for more information on how to register a club on campus.

Who do I contact with Recreational Services if I have questions about sport clubs?
Armando Espinoza, Assistant Director for Competitive Sports, would be happy to assist you. Feel free to drop by his office at the Rec Complex, call him at 785-532-6980, or email him at arespin@k-state.edu.