1. K-State home
  2. »Rec Services home
  3. »Employment
  4. »Student Positions

Recreational Services

Recreational Services
Kansas State University
101 Peters Rec Complex
1831 Olympic Drive
Manhattan, KS 66506


Student Staff Positions

Employment requirements

A variety of student employment opportunities are available with Recreational Services. Positions are filled by students who are currently enrolled at Kansas State University. Students must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours during the fall or spring semester. For summer employment, a student must

  • have been enrolled in no fewer than 6 hours in the past spring semester, or
  • be pre-enrolled in the upcoming fall semester in no fewer than 6 hours, or
  • be enrolled in the summer semester for any number of credit hours, or
  • be admitted to study in the upcoming fall semester.

Incoming freshmen and transfer students are eligible to apply for positions before arriving on campus. Graduate assistants are not eligible for employment.

Student hourly wages begin at $7.25 per hour or more, depending on the position. Employees are eligible for a step increase at the beginning of each semester, provided they work the minimum number of hours required and have an above satisfactory work evaluation.

NOW HIRING for the following positions:

Application deadline is April 3 at 5 pm. All applications must be submitted online. Click on the job description for more details and a link to the application. Interviews for these positions will take place after the application deadline. 

Challenge Course Facilitator

Rec Services is seeking to hire a group of dynamic students to join our Challenge Course Facilitator staff for this summer and into the fall and spring. Challenge Course facilitators are trained how to guide groups on our low and high element course. The course is a resource where participants can learn through communication, teamwork, and cooperation. The role of a facilitator is to contribute to the course operations through the delivery of experiential learning programming in a safe and inclusive environment. 

Prior experience in experiential activities is preferred, but not required. We are willing to train anyone with a positive attitude, and a willingness to learn. 


Climbing Wall Supervisor

Recreational Services is seeking to hire students to join our Climbing Wall Staff.   Climbing wall supervisors will undergo training and learn how to supervise and maintain the climbing wall, as well as teach belay and climbing skills.  They will be expected to provide excellent customer service, take a proactive approach towards safety, be excellent representatives of the K-State climbing program, and be advocates of the sport of climbing. 

Prior climbing and/or related experience are required.



Lifeguards supervise the Natatorium during Recreational Services swim time. Responsibilities include supervising recreational swimmers, preventing accidents and injuries, emergency intervention, checking student IDs and facility use cards for admittance and selling guest passes. Minimum qualifications are Red Cross LG, CPR/AED/FA-Professional Rescuer. 


Facility Maintenance Employee

The facility maintenance employee is responsible for the general repair and maintenance of Recreation Complex equipment. The employee is also responsible for the normal upkeep and cleanliness of the weight and cardiovascular equipment. 



Building Staff

Interview sign-ups will be Monday, April 3 at 8 am in the Rec Lobby for the following two positions:

Assistant Building Supervisor

Assistant Building Supervisors are the first point of contact with all patrons who enter the building. Additionally, they control facility access, oversee equipment check-out and laundry service. They will conduct facility inspections and assist with housekeeping measures. 

Interview sign-ups will be Monday, April 3 at 8 am in the Rec Lobby.
Interviews will take place Sunday, April 9. 

Weight Room Supervisor

Weight Room Supervisors supervise the weight and cardio areas. Additionally, they oversee policy enforcement and conduct housekeeping measures.

Interview sign-ups will be Monday, April 3 at 8 am in the Rec Lobby.
Interviews will take place Sunday, April 9.  


Fitness Staff

Group Fitness Instructor

Group Fitness instructors teach a variety of fitness sessions for K-State students and facility cardholders. Group Fitness is a unique leadership opportunity to promote physical activity and well-being to many participants. Session offerings range from traditional land and aqua fitness to mind-body such as Yoga. All instructors are required to complete a semester-long in-house training program, take a written examination, and audition for hire. Upon hire, instructors will co-teach for one semester with an experienced instructor. Within one semester of hire, group fitness instructors are required to obtain national certification. CPR certification is also required. 

For more information regarding hiring dates and information, contact Megan Maransani at maransani@k-state.edu or call 532-6980.